Daylighting Using Skylights and Translucent Curtainwall
• Importance of Daylighting
• Daylighting Types and Analysis
• An Overview of Glazing Options
• Creative Design Applications
• Sustainable Design and LEED®
• Loading and Calculations
• Question and Answer Session
Designing with Translucent Panel Daylighting Systems
• Benefits of Daylighting
• Products and Process
• Glazing Comparisons
• Translucent Daylighting Applications
• Specialty Applications
• Design Considerations
• Green Building and Sustainability
• Loads, Codes and Myths
Design & Aesthetics for Operable Partitions
• Benefits of Operable Partitions
• Detail all the criteria to be considered when determining the ideal configuration of the partition.
• Illustrate a sample series of correct and improper applications of an Operable Partition and the factors leading to these conclusions.
• Illustrate the many design choices for panel facings and finishes.
Emerging Toplighting Technologies
• Discuss factors influencing the adoption of daylighting in building codes; review daylighting requirements in current building codes; learn how to effectively incorporate daylighting into buildings based on the application.
• Learn how technological advancements within the unit skylight category will further increase energy savings, enhance interior aesthetics, reduce site-service issues, and influence lighting designs.
• Learn how technological advancements within the monument & architectural metal frame skylight category have reduced service issues, provided labor-saving solutions, and better energy performance.
• Learn how technological advancements within the tubular daylighting device category will improve energy savings, reduce upfront costs, and increase product lifecycles.
Daylighting High Performance Schools with Toplighting Strategies
• Define the 12 characteristics of a High Performance School as defined by the EPA
• Understand how proper daylighting impacts the areas defined as Health, Thermal and Visual Comfort, Energy Efficiency and Commissioning
• Identify the key design considerations for proper daylighting
• Identity toplighting and skylighting strategies and components
• Understand new innovations in high performance and dynamic glazing
• Understand the basic tools available for successful commissioning
High-Performance Design with Polycarbonate Glazing Systems
• Define polycarbonate glazing and understand the broad range of available high-performance polycarbonate glazing systems.
• Explain why polycarbonate glazing systems improve occupant health, safety, and welfare when compared to alternatives. .
• Understand how integrating polycarbonate glazing into a whole building design process can help achieve green building objectives, maximize design flexibility and improve overall aesthetics. .
• Explain why polycarbonate glazing is the most durable glazing option, resulting in decreased maintenance costs and increased service life. .
• Discuss the broad range of commercial applications where designers have successfully incorporated polycarbonate glazing.
Using Unit Skylights to Daylight Commercial Buildings
• Defining Terms: Skylights vs. Daylighting
• Understanding the benefits of skylights
• Components of a Typical Skylight
• Proper Sizing & Placement of Skylights
• Understanding design considerations related to skylights
• Available Daylight and Energy Modeling Tools